As I wrote in previous part of the story, I got an issue with rear rim. The rim has 32 holes as required, but it turned out that dimples have holes frilled under the angles that were for around 10o steeper than holes in original rim. This meant that spokes were bent quite badly when nipples were tightened, just like this spoke on photo:
I tried to find solution through experiments with spokes but I found no spokes configuration that fit both, Honda Transalp rear hub and Warp 9 rim. To buy another rim wasn’t solution too, cause it automatically gave project delay penalty, not mention financial one. Under such circumstances I was forced to find solution and I worked it out in the form of inclined (beveled) washers. It wasn’t easy, but I managed to make 38 washers (I needed 32, but I made spare ones in case of loss or dimensions mismatching).
This rim turned out to be even better than front one, so I managed to get 0.3mm of lateral (out-of-round) and 0.2mm of axial (side-to side) runout. The mount for indicators was, as usually, quite simple but effective.
As I tightened spokes, wheel became ready for installation of new seal and new brake disc:
I loaded my new wheels, new tires and new tubes into my car and drove them into the nearest tire workshop equipped with tools and balancing machines for motorcycle wheels. Only when I returned to my garage with ready wheels I understood how tense I was that day. It took a half an hour of sitting in chair with my legs stretched on folding stool and a cap of strong coffee (strange thing but coffee make me rather concentrated and calm, than exited) to bring me back to norm.
Sure, I couldn’t resist shooting some photos:
Not a lot remained to be done before assembling cafe-racer and I hope I’ll do all preparation works fast, though sometimes small works take more time than big ones…