Kawasaki KZ650 cafe-racer. Polished sprocket cover.

As I already have written I decided to polish KZ650 engine covers before engine assembling. So here we go with a sprocket cover. This cover is more than 40 years old and it wasn’t laying in the box on the shelf all this time.  So, no wonder, it is all over scratched and oxidized. Here is how sprocket cover looked after being treated with pressured gasoline and by high pressure washer:

My task was to detect if the cover is not beyond salvation. Well, it turned out that work was within my skills:

Another couple of photos “before and after”:

However, it wasn’t an easy walk, a lot of sandpapering was involed. Here you may see how deep some of scratches were:  

But patience did the trick and with some efforts applied sprocket cover started to look more decent.

After courses of dry and wet sandpapering I made the first polishing approach to reveal and eliminate flaws that could be eliminated. Then I made the final polishing.

Same story was with the cover of the clutch adjuster. Initially it looked battered, but fortunately, wasn’t beyond salvation too. Sandpapering and polishing made it look pretty different. Here are photos before and after the work I did on it:

In my next post I’ll show you what I did to the clutch cover and some of the smaller covers.

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *