Engine was installed in frame but there were a lot of works to do before it could start.
Firstly I worked on oil system. I cleaned oil tank inside and outside, then straightened bent oil cooler fins. After that, I mounted all components and started exhaust pipes cleaning. Exhaust header was covered with thick layer of scum but as it was made of stainless steel so could be not only cleaned, but also be polished. I have no photo of header in unclean condition, but it could be seen on this old one:
Then I done some different small operations, such like electrical connectors cleaning, battery box rubbers and breather hose replacement and so on. Further on I started twin SRX carburetors cleaning. I disassembled them completely and cleaned totally. Before I assembled carburetors I shot this photo, because I like shooting disassembled machinery:-)
After carburetors where assembled I sped up myself and installed in SRX all components needed for engine start: carburetors, new throttle cables, air and oil filters. After that I commuted all wires, filled oil tank with oil and manually injected some portion of oil into oil channels. The bike was ready to start.
That was a little bit exciting process. Engine started immediately after I pushed the starter button, but I was nervous about oil system functioning and settled down only after oil flowed out from control hole in cylinder head. The engine sounded like a music…
It looked like the SRX project was close to its end, but still a couple of unsolved issues remained. First of them was rear shock absorber. It did not work properly, with squeaking noises. It couldn’t be repaired, so I had to find replacement for it. After some research I’ve bought 2004 CBR600 F4i shock (full adjustable). That was a little earlier, so I got a parcel with it soon after the engine start.
A CBR shock is longer than an SRX one, as it could be seen, and also it needed some adaptation before installation. I needed reducers and to replace hose with a longer one. So I bought braided brake hose and ordered making of reducers and hose replacement in friendly garage, guys from which are experts in suspension repairing.
While shock was in work I had to solve second issue, namely, cleaning the fuel tank liners. Here are the exfoliated pieces of liner:
I know only old school method to clean out tank liner, which means you are to put a lot of small bolts, nuts and other metal pieces in a tank, add some liquid like kerosene and after that to dance with a tank shaking it like a hell, as long as a tank becomes clean.
So I cleaned the tank in such a way and also used a different improvised scratchers. That was a long and effortful process and even after third rinse I could saw a lot of milled liner in washbowl.