I don’t like to work with freshly painted parts, so I decided it’s time to give the set of tank, front mudguard and rear hugger into paint shop. Thus I gain the extra time for them to dry before installation.
Firstly I cut out final version of front mud guard and all welding works (spacers and mounting nuts) on it were done. Then I grinded welding points and stripped fender to the bare metal to be sure it have no hidden dents of any rust at all.
My next task was tank preparation. As it has a few dents on it, the first stage of preparation was removing them. I made it from inside. It’s rather tricky work which involves much more of thinking and tools making than actual taping. But I was more than satisfied with result as I managed to remove all significant dents.
Hugger was freshly made so it was ready for painting, but I wanted to get rid of all possible rust on steel parts. Therefore I drove all steel units to media blasting shop where they were blasted with glass beads to bare metal. Sure, upper part of tank may be sandpapered as well, but with sandpaper you never get same perfect result on more complex surface of tank’ lower side.