The source bike is 1992 Honda CB750 Seven Fifty we bought in the summer 2014. I don’t like idea to cut perfect motorcycle in good condition, so as for me, that was an ideal bike for full project, because it had only few undamaged exterior details.
This bike inherited:
- Broken plastic parts mounted with cable ties;
- Crumpled header pipes with anyhow welded and somehow mounted ugly mufflers;
- Chinese plastic headlight (light only formally);
- Broken dashboard;
- Brake disks, thin as sheet of paper;
- Scratched engine covers;
- All four footpegs were different one from another. And one of them was just a bolt, screwed into footpeg mount hole.
And so on and so forth. Quite long list could be compiled, but bike was steel in rideable condition. So in the end of July 2014 one friend of mine brought it, riding it some 500km from another city and this CB750 occupied the corner in my garage for some time. Here is a couple of CB photos as it arrived to me.
Firstly I stripped off bike, cut off tail and passenger footpeg holders, took XJ600 51J tank from shelf and tried to install it on Seven fifty frame. It looked like it might be fitted, but with some light modification of both, frame and tank. Tank needed some deepening of tunnel, so I did it carefully with hummer and wooden spacers. I didn’t know precisely would this tank look good enough on this bike, so I left modifying of frame mounting points for later times and installed tank temporarily.
I also found funny exhaust mufflers on ebay and decided to use them in this project. Stock header pipes were in condition “nothing to lose” and I cut them without any regrets. They should be replaced anyway, but in cut edition still may be used as a model.
Next point was wheels. I don’t like alloy wheel and better prefer spokes. But in case of CB750 I had a goal to keep two brake discs and 17” rims applicable to stock tire dimensions . With some luck I found in sale at hand front wheel with old Suzuki style dual disk hub an 2.5” wide 17” aluminum rim. It needs to be respoked with new spokes but that’s not a problem. I had luck with rear wheel also. I bought a wheel from Honda Transalp 650 (2.5 inch wide rim ) with sprocket hub and dumper, and one of my friends had proper 4.25” wide rim I may take and try to fit. I temporary respoked Transalp wheel with this rim and it fitted perfectly. After that I had to do researches in front brake discs direction. I measured original brake disk, new hub and then found what type of discs will fit to both: new hub and old brake calipers. And what a luck again! I had such discs at hand too.
So, question with spoke wheels was mostly solved. There is still some work should be done about adaptation, but nothing special, just routing measuring and lathe works.
It seems to me, I wrote to much words again. Ok, let’s shorten this opus!
My next step was tail and seat modeling in first approximation. The way is well known, I took a sculpture clay and in several iteration found configuration I like. A couple of last touches: gaiters and clip-ons and everything is ready to announce my work on new project.
Yep, I must say, that I used tires I had at hand, and at least front should have less sharp pattern. And this is only the first step in cafe-racer creation, so nothing is set finally.
That’s all, time to photos: